has provided tips on how to prepare quick and healthy lunches!
Here’s how to put together good-for-you foods to make a satisfying and healthy lunch:
- Put a healthy spin on the traditional sandwich. Use two pieces of thin, whole grain bread and include two ounces reduced-sodium lean turkey, hummus, spinach, bell pepper slices, and/or mustard. Add some carrot sticks and light ranch dressing on the side.
- Mix together some cooked quinoa, rinsed and drained canned white beans, chopped bell pepper, carrots, and broccoli to make a whole grain and veggie salad. Toss with some olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Add a nectarine or some grapes on the side and a small handful of dry roasted almonds, if desired.
- Make a tuna salad with canned light tuna packed in water, light mayo, diced celery, lemon juice, and freshly ground pepper. Serve it over greens with an apple and peanut butter on the side.
- Build a quick yogurt parfait with nonfat plain Greek yogurt, diced no-sugar-added canned pineapple, and a sprinkle of pecans to top it off.
- Pack a cup of leftover chili or vegetable soup. Top it with some fresh tomatoes and nonfat plain yogurt instead of sour cream.
- Fill a whole wheat tortilla wrap with rotisserie chicken, hummus, and greens. For more veggie goodness, add roasted or fresh pepper strips.
- Pack a hard-boiled egg, a piece of fruit, a string cheese stick, and five whole wheat crackers. And bring as many carrot or celery sticks as you like!
- Throw together a salad with romaine lettuce or spinach and any other non-starchy vegetables that you like. Top with some grilled chicken, feta cheese, a sprinkle of chopped nuts, and a tablespoon of light salad dressing.