Friday, September 25, 2015

Introducing Our Fall 2015 Intern, Neena!

AAHI is excited to introduce our new fall intern, Neena Kuruvilla! She is a senior at the University of Maryland, College Park and is pursuing a B.S. in Community Health. Keep reading to learn a little more about Neena!

If you could describe yourself in three words, what would they be?
I would describe myself as a thinker, a listener, and compassionate.

What do you enjoy doing in your free time?
I love listening to music from around the world, everyday and all day! 

Tell us a fun fact about you.
I am a huge soccer fan and love cheering on my favorite team, Real Madrid.

What are your interests in community health?
Mental health interests me especially since it is such a stigmatized topic in the Asian American community. I want to help bring greater awareness to mental health issues in order to clear up some of the misconceptions surrounding the topic and subsequently help people feel more comfortable seeking treatment for themselves or others. I believe it is an important issue to address since prevention is the first step. 

What are you looking forward to and hoping to gain from your internship at AAHI?
I am looking forward to gaining experience communicating directly with members of the community and seeing tangible changes being made. It beats sitting behind a desk all day! I am also excited about being able to work with diverse ethnic groups in the community.

Any post-graduation goals and plans?
After graduation, I hope to gain more work experience in the community health field which will help me get a better idea of what direction I want to take my career towards. 

We cannot wait to get to know Neena more and look forward to working with her over the next few months. Please join us in welcoming her to AAHI!

No comments:

Post a Comment