Effective August 5th, 2013- Montgomery County's Rental Assistance Program (RAP) is now accepting applications.
RAP is a Montgomery County-funded program to help low-income households meet their monthly rental expenses. Assistance is available to legal residents who are disabled, elderly or households of two or more. Eligible customers can receive $50 to $200 per month towards their rental costs.
To apply, households must submit a completed pre-application by mail, fax, or in-person. All households will be placed on a waiting list and contacted by the Rental Assistance Program as openings occur to apply for benefits. Customers can call 240-777-4400 to receive a pre-application or they can download the form from the HHS website.
Documents To Bring
- Proof of gross income for the last thirty days (pay stubs or letter from employer, current award letter for Social Security, SSI, pension, annuity or retirement, child support received, unemployment)
- Financial bank statements for all accounts indicating interest or dividends earned and the principal balances
- Most recently filed Federal Income Tax Form (1040) with all attachments (including W-2 and 1099 forms)
- Proof of out-of-pocket child care or medical expenses for the last twelve months
- You must be a renter in Montgomery County and your rent cannot exceed program limits
- You must be a legal resident of the U.S. or receive Temporary Cash Assistance (TCA) for your children
- Your monthly gross income cannot exceed program limits
- Your household assets must be less than $10,000
- If applying as a one person household, you must be disabled or at least 62 years of age
For more information regarding RAP, please visit the Montgomery County DHHS website at http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/HHS-Program/SNHS/SNHSRental-p743.html#apply